TBD

TBD on Ning

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE

HAVE DINNER READY: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal--on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are a part of the warm welcome needed.

PREPARE YOURSELF: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon (!) in your hair, and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

CLEAR AWAY THE CLUTTER: Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables Your husband will feel he has reaches a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

PREPARE THE CHILDREN: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

MINIMIZE ALL NOISE: At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile.

SOME DON'TS: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

MAKE HIM COMFORTABLE: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing, and pleasant voice. Allow hi to relax and unwind.

LISTEN TO HIM: You may have a dozen things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

MAKE THE EVENING HIS: Never complain if he doesn't take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

THE GOAL: Try to make your home a place of peach and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

And now...progress:

PRETEND he's Henry Kissinger and your Barbara Walters--then interview him.

DON'T be afraid to show a little leg or cleavage. He won't think you're a bimbo--just very sexy.

NEVER complain (the chops are overcooked, the movie was awful....)

ORDER dessert--a lusty appetite is sexy.

NO personal problems--the fact that your cat is sick and you don't have enough money to pay the rent can wait.

ENCOURAGE him to talk about his work. (So what if you don't know stocks from bonds--could a little high-finance input hurt?)

BE touchy-feely--that is, touch his hand lightly after he says something particularly funny, brush up against him when entering a restaurant, let your knee lightly touch his in the cab.

DON'T brag about your ancestors.

DON'T stop him if he's telling a joke you've heard--laugh anyway.

IF he wants to talk about his shrink, let him. (Yours, of course, is strictly off limits.)

KEEP ladies' room visits to under five minutes.

AT the table, be a little geisha-like--butter his roll, put the sugar alongside his coffee.

SAY "That's absolutely fascinating!" at least once before the evening's over.

FROM "HOW TO BE A GREAT DATE" in the December 1990 issue of COSMOPOLITAN

Tags: dating, marriage, sexist, stranger-than-fiction, this-has-to-have-been-a-joke-right?, unbelievable

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

Ah. Yes. The good old days !!! Hilarious Suuse!!! Thanks!
Psst. Don't tell me. You're cleaning and packing and purging and you discovered you had saved a 1990 issue of Cosmo! Fess up!?! Did you? When I was dealing with doing the same thing after more than 35 years in Canada - I discovered I had saved Cosmo magazines. Not many - but the one with Burt Reynolds?!? Yup. And a few others too . And I still have three copies of Viva magazine. Anyone remember it?
I didn't find a copy of the magazine--just the tear sheet, which had been reprinted in another magazine in the late 90s. I had a file of bits like these, and it was time to give it a good vetting--but before I tossed these, I wanted to share them. :D
And LOVE the Chase & Sandborn ad!
Wow, that was from 1990? Amazing. I found this a few days ago and it made me laugh.

Actually Belle - what Suuse was referring to has spanned the fifties right into the nineties (!!!) you would really need to have had a grounding in Helen Gurley Brown to totally get it all. And perhaps you do . Too!

If you are referring to the advert I posted, that's from the late fifties!

Having said this - hummm . . . I've found that the "SAY : "That's absolutely fascinating!" at least once before the evening's over " trick - works every single little time . . . /;-D !!!
LOVE IT.
Cindy--YES! It was from a GH article dated 1950. "1990" is a typo. BAH! Bad Suuse, bad!
"The Good Housekeeping article was a reprint from a 1950's article with the intention of showing how much we've progressed. It wasn't a 1990 suggestion from GH."

I know Cindy - sorry for misunderstanding - I just mention Helen as a tribute to her amazing longevity with Cosmo in reference to the article from Cosmo circa 1990 as posted by Suuse.

The key here to the humour is that wonderful bridge Suuse wrote betwixt the two articles.

"And now...progress":

We are STILL knocking ourselves out in some fashion or another to please and/or attract our man. And if any of you tell me you never do a thing to please him . . . or do a thing to attract one . . .
Of course we're still knocking ourselves out to attract/please/keep a mate. Look at the billions we spend on skin care, diets, clothes, shoes, hair goo...!
I have what one ex referred to as "a 1-900" voice. I use it to great effect when saying things like "Honey...Sweetiekins--the property taxes are due next Tuesday" or "The lawn needs reseeding."

:D
*Giggle*

Psst. Susse - you can go back into your discussion and edit that 1990 GH ;-D

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service