TBD

TBD on Ning

The weather was brutal in the Half-Marathon yesterday. It was cold, windy, and raining quite hard off-and-on. Weather-wise, it was the worst race I’ve ever participated in. I kept my newspaper sleeves and poncho on until I ran the last mile. I didn't want them on for any photos taken at the finish line!!
I really missed running with my regular running group; but on the way out of the Convention Center to head toward the starting line, several of my friends grabbed me (I tried to get away, but they wouldn't let me go!) to have one of their husband's take a few pictures of us. Wouldn't you know it, but he couldn't get the camera to work, so I hurried up and gave him mine, since I knew I'd have problems trying to find my friends in all of those 20,000 + runners. (The photo of the 3 of us was one of the pics he took.) However, I never DID find them, I even almost ended up in the wrong corrals (with the faster runners who start the race earlier than us slower runners) looking for them. There were lots of loud laughs behind me when runners saw the back of my shirt. A number of them said that my sign was the best one they'd ever seen! Some of the guys even would run up beside me and ask me how old I was. So, instead of saying "74," I'd tell them, "I'll be 75 in May!!"
In the results, I received a 2nd place age group award in the 70-74 year-old age group. A 70 year old woman from Texas received the first place age group award. At least in the half-marathon there were 17 women in our age group - not like the marathon where there's usually only one!
I guess it was meant to be, though, that I ran my race alone, since if I had stayed with my group, they came in about 5 minutes after I did; so I would have ended up with a 3rd place age group award instead of a 2nd place age group award!
The professional photos aren't available yet, so I don't have any "Action" running photos yet!

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion

Aw, thank you Sherrie, for those nice words!

Aramco Half Marathon Finish Line Video...

There I am on the right in all of those finishers, in my royal blue shirt carrying my poncho!!!

Relive the moment of Victory in the Aramco Houston Half Marathon!  

I saw you!  Blue is a very good color for you!  Again, congratulations!

Thanks, Sherrie!  

Sending a BIG congratulations your way!

Thank you Leftygrl!

Thank you Steve!

WTG TW!!!!  

As a non-runner (grew up believing that you should only run if you've stolen something and you're being chased! LOL), a half marathon is a misnomer -- it's truly a marathon even if not strictly according to the definition!

You're one hell of a woman, TW!  Keep on keeping on!

Thanks Mike, I'm doin' my best to keep on keepin' on!!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service