TBD

TBD on Ning

An amazing phenomenon happened this week. I gave my senior class some free time on Friday because it was the last day before vacation, and I offered to play some music for them. I asked what they wanted to hear, and they said COUNTRY!. These are highly sophisticated affluent suburban kids, and they wanted country music. When I put it on, I saw them singing along. GO COUNTRY MUSIC. Plus, the NYC metropolitan area hasn't had a country station since 1999. We now have one. What on earth happened?

Views: 315

Replies to This Discussion

Louis Armstrong: "There's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music"

when people deride a performer or a type or music, they might be missing out on an exposure to something new....i've always enjoyed a good exposure....oh that sounded different in my head...i've never been a big big fan of bacharach music but this rendition of this song pushes the buttons

yeah he is .. i liked him a lot when he first came out but .. once he started actin like liberache he lost me .. but i can still listen to songs like this and think .. man he was good .. and this is country .. yup it is ..

but this one is more in the catagory of rock .. but still a great song .. and the bass is good in this too ..

but really how many performers find themselves working for the money rather than the music? "we need another one like the last one...think of the sales"...there really aren't that many artists that separate themselves artistically from the money. here's one who did...his answer to 'make us another one just like that but better' was to walk away...

that also gets into the 'how much is enough money ?"question...what parts will an actor or actress take just for the money? what kind of treacle will a musician perform if the money is enough? and what will any of us do or wink at or sidestep if the stack of dollars is tall enough?

oh and coincidences....i was first turned onto elton john up in laurel canyon at a music producers house...he was a big change from the musical style that had been going on. of course it helped to hear that coming out of huge altec voice of the theater speakers ...face it...the guy did some great tunes...

I

In the quiet silent seconds I turned off the light switch
And I came down to meet you in the half light the moon left
While a cluster of night jars sang some songs out of tune
A mantle of bright light shone down from a room

Come down in time I still hear her say
So clear in my ear like it was today
Come down in time was the message she gave
Come down in time and I'll meet you half way

Well I don't know if I should have heard her as yet
But a true love like hers is a hard love to get
And I've walked most all the way and I ain't heard her call