TBD

TBD on Ning

Just how strong are your feelings of gun control ?

Views: 187

Replies to This Discussion

Snagg, have I ever told you that I like the way you think?  Well I do.  Not that it matters, but I do. 

well i had known that ms lanza was a gun owner .. i had no idea what her political affiliation was tho .. and i'll agree that it wasn't a good thing to teach her son to use guns .. but i'm sure she was hopin for a different result .. who doesn't wish that their kids grew up better or didn't have the mental problems that some of them do ?? i was married to a woman who had a daughter who wasn't wired right and i begged her to take her in for some kinda testin and she wouldn't .. she was so afraid they might take her kid away or label her as some kinda menace to society and she just wasn't gonna do it .. so finally i said ok no problem .. you deal with it your way cause i can't .. i'm leavin .. now as bad as she was i never thought she would go off and shoot somebody .. and so far she hasn't .. and maybe she won't .. she has spent a little time in the looney bin tho .. turns out she's bi polar .. and i've met some bi polar people but none like her .. she's also a sociopath on top of it all .. and she can piss other people around her off to the point where they wanna murder her .. and thats not an empty statement .. she had an old boyfriend who was tryin to kill her .. he was observed by the police as she was tryin to get away tryin to run her off the road .. they charged him with attempted vehicular homicide.. i guess he didn't have a gun at the time .. and i can see your point about givin a car to a crazy teen ..in another post a few hours ago i told how i did indeed pay for that because of the very same little stepmonster , thank you very much A I G .. anyway my point is , and i do have one is parents always hope for better results with their kids .. now ms lanza might have seen the problems her son was havin copin and may have realized its not a good idea anymore to bring him to the range with her .. that i don't know .. i'm not sure when the light finally went off in her head that her own son is cracked .. maybe it was 2 years before he went off ?? or maybe it was 2 minutes before she died when he killed her .. but he did have to kill her to get her guns .. so she wasn't a willin accomplice .. i agree that when you know your kids are stone cold crazy you don't give em guns .. but here's the thing .. in other parts of the country some kids are taught firearm safety from the age of 12 and they never shoot anyone with any more frequency than other kids who are never taught firearm safety .. but try as we might some kids fall thru the cracks .. and while i don't know everything there is to know about bein a schitzo one of the things i've learned is it doesn't always show up at a very young age .. usually young adults is the age .. so a lot of parents are blindsided by it .. and then some like i said before refuse to see .. and thats a problem .. but i can't see how takin guns away from responsible owners solves that problem ..   

Only the zealots want to take guns away from responsible owners, and I ain't one of those. I don't have a problem in the world with hunting, marksmanship competitions, home protection out in the boonies or the inner city or any of the legitimate reasons that most Americans own guns.

But the plain ugly fact is that the NRA stopped representing responsible gun owners about 30 years ago, and now solely represents the gun industry itself. The Pandora's Box of gun ownership and how it relates to the American character was blown wide open a couple of centuries ago, and there is NO hope of this country as we know it of ever giving up the things that convince so many snivelling cowards that they're big, brave badasses.

Maybe someday, (long after we're all dead, I expect), we'll calm down and begin to approach the Swiss or Australian stance towards guns, but I ain't holding my breath.

well there's a lotta people in austrailia that ain't happy about losin their gun rights .. you might wanna research that a bit .. i'm not so sure about the swiss tho .. i'd have to look into that one cause i don't know .. but them aussie's are pissed about it .. 

again i'm not for the gary cooper high noon mentality either .. and most folks ain't either .. and that does include the responsible gun owners .. another fact thats not mentioned all that much is how many gun deaths are done with unlicensed illegal guns ?? that might be a clue too .. i'm not sayin every gun owner is responsible now mind you .. but the responsible owners far outnumber the irresponsible one's by a wide wide wide margin .. nothin is perfect .. cars crash , planes crash , trains crash ,ships sink, people trip goin down the stairs.. shit happens .. till people are perfect they always will ..   

Australia had the largest voluntary gun surrender in history, after a gun-fueled mass killing shook the nation to it's core. Gun rights were NOT "taken away" - People just finally woke up.

they didn't wake up .. they got snookered .. 

what would be the reason for takin away all the guns from everyone ?? to lower the crime rates ?? ya think ?? well if thats what you think then you'd be wrong .. none of the crime rates went down .. 

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent).

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

When you hand over your firearms,this is what you can expect!

Like I said - The Australian gov't didn't TAKE a single weapon; They asked citizens to turn them in, entirely voluntarily. THEN they instituted stricter gun laws.

As a result, Australia hasn't had a single mass killing in nearly twenty years.

Who EXACTLY do you think is getting snookered ? The Australians ? Think again...

nah .. no mass killins .. just a 42% rise in violent crime .. assaults up 49% sexual assults up 29% .. but they agreed because they thought like you if the guns were banned it would lead to a safer society and its just the opposite.. i'd call that snookered .. so now that the facts are commin out they would vote differently .. they have the advantage of havin it both ways .. they had guns and then they didn't .. and they don't think not havin em is better .. we should pay more attention .. 

I don't like them because kids keep getting killed by sicko's that have easy access to them. I feel like the responsible gun owners need to solve this problem. If they want to have guns they need to find a way to keep little kids from being killed.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — An autopsy for a Nashville-based singer-songwriter who was killed by a bar owner shows Wayne Mills was shot in the back of the head.

Bar owner Chris Ferrell has told police he shot Mills in self-defense in the pre-dawn hours of Nov. 23. Ferrell says the two got into an argument over the musician smoking a cigarette in a no-smoking area of Ferrell's Pit and Barrel bar in downtown Nashville.

Mills was brought to Vanderbilt University Medical Center at about 5:30 a.m. and died there about twelve hours later.

According to the autopsy from the Davidson County Medical Examiner's Office, Mills died from the gunshot wound, although he also had two broken ribs plus several bruises and scrapes. The report said there was no evidence the gun was fired at close range.

The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department has said its investigation found the evidence did not support Ferrell's self-defense claim. He is charged with second degree murder and is free on a $150,000 bond.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/gun-control-in-australia/

Frenchy, as long as you get your "facts" from right-wing / tea party websites and FAUXNews - You're the one getting snookered.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service