TBD

TBD on Ning

Hello! I just went through a divorce after 32 years of marriage and I got a cat for the first time! I have never owned a cat and oh my!  I have an eight month old rescue rag doll female. I have had her for two weeks and she still hides.  She is still skittish 

Views: 26

Replies to This Discussion

HI and welcome! Relax first...her behavior is normal for a rescue. Did the rescue group have any details on her history? Was she a feral  or did someone surrender her?  If she was a feral and lived all her life in the wild, she is behaving normally and it will take time for her to trust you. Of course it will take a shorter time for her to understand that you are the source of food and fun. Let her come to you on her terms and try to move slowly around her. You can attempt to engage her in play with some type of toy on a wand or a catnip-infused stuffed toy. Hopefully she is healthy and has had the annual shots so you won't have to be concerned about a vet trip. Does she have a post to exercise her claws on? If not try to get one or your furniture may take a beating. Time is the biggest help. One of my rescues took 2 years before I could touch her and another if I moved too fast, she disappeared for a while but she always came out for food. Good luck!        

HI and welcome! Relax first...her behavior is normal for a rescue. Did the rescue group have any details on her history? Was she a feral  or did someone surrender her?  If she was a feral and lived all her life in the wild, she is behaving normally and it will take time for her to trust you. Of course it will take a shorter time for her to understand that you are the source of food and fun. Let her come to you on her terms and try to move slowly around her. You can attempt to engage her in play with some type of toy on a wand or a catnip-infused stuffed toy. Hopefully she is healthy and has had the annual shots so you won't have to be concerned about a vet trip. Does she have a post to exercise her claws on? If not try to get one or your furniture may take a beating. Time is the biggest help. One of my rescues took 2 years before I could touch her and another if I moved too fast, she disappeared for a while but she always came out for food. Good luck!        

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service