TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5988

Replies to This Discussion

I believe this, but sometimes my 'tuner' is glitchy.

"But if we wait until we die to expect happiness, it may be too late. We can touch all the wonders of life, and the ultimate itself, with our human body right here and now." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Life is amazing. And then it's awful. And then it's amazing again. And in between the amazing and awful it's ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary..." ~ L.R. Knost

"Sometimes I’m the mess. Sometimes I’m the broom. On the hardest days I have to be both." ~Rudy Francisco

And then there are the days when I'm the A & W root beer float.

"By avoiding difficult thoughts and feelings, you perpetuate them."  ~  Everyday Mindfulness

Counterintuitivly, i wonder if we could perpetuate pleasant thoughts and feelings by avoiding them?

Alas,

"It's a terrible waste to be happy and not notice it." -- KURT VONNEGUT

"Our suffering is impermanent, and that is why we can transform it. And because happiness is impermanent, that is why we have to nourish it." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart... live in the question." -- RAINER MARIA RILKE

"The afternoon knows what the  morning never suspected."  ~  Robert Frost

"Qualities of a Mindful person:

They hold thoughts lightly

They feel what they are feeling

They accept the transient nature of things

They do one thing at a time

They turn everyday tasks into mindful moments

They protect and nurture themselves."

~ Melli Obrien

RSS

Badge

Loading…