TBD

TBD on Ning

Dostoevsky. Crime and Punishment. I read it as a kid, then picked it up again on this trip. (This time son was reading it.) Absolutely rivetting. 

I just finished Infidel (what a brave woman!) and was ready to start on Satanic Verses (S. Rushdie) before I was diverted. Next I just MUST re-read The Brothers Karamazov. Theres a reason this stuff is classical.

What about you? What's in your reading pile?

Tags: books, education, entertainment, reading

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a birthday next week. My Youngest got me a Kindle with 3G. I'm reading how to operate it.

Sigh.... I've finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, the last in Stieg Larsson's Millenium series. 

I'm in mourning now. I'm not ready to leave them. Each book got better. The third one was great.

sigh..................

My plan now, after reading 3 novels in a row, is to shift to non-fiction & poetry for a bit. Either something historical or a biography. Any suggestions? I have a built-in library in this home that I share w/Ducatiman, so there's lots here to read w/out having to hit the library or Amazon or B&N.

Just finished "Spook Country" by William Gibson. If you've never read anything by him, you're missing out.

Also just read the latest issue of "Mother Jones". Don't know why I read it. It makes me lose hope for the human race. Wish I was dumb enough to enjoy "Fox" "Fair and Balanced" news.

No, you don't.

I highly recommend The Warmth Of Other Suns, by Isabel Wilkerson

You're trying to rip my heart out of my chest, aren't you? I was thinking of something heavy on the intellectual stimulation & light on the heart strings.

Actually believe it  or not.

i am reading something  besides 'Thoroughbred Times', 'The Blood-Horse', 'Cat Fancy' magazines or the news paper.

I am reading a book.

'Seabiscuit'. I got it for my Birthday about 10 years ago, and now I am finally reading it.

It is pretty good, the author won awards for it.

it is about a racehorse back in the 30's.

Thanks, B A F. I'm really missing Lisbeth Salander & Mikael Blomkvist tonight (the main characters in the Millenium series). They've become my friends. I wasn't ready to part w/them yet. :-(

The last time this happened to me was at the end of The Secret Life of Bees, but it was different.

I really want to be hanging out w/Lisbeth & Mikael right now!

I'm fascinated by dead ball era baseball - the period from 1900 to 1920 - especially the pitchers of that time. Right now I am reading a biography of Albert 'Chief' Bender - the greatest American Indian baseball player. He faced enormous prejudice and taunts as a player yet always maintained a stoic demeanor. His childhood was similar to many Indians at the time - taken from his parents and forced to give up the Indian way of life and adapt and conform to white society.

He was elected to the Hall of Fame in the 1950's. One of the greatest high pressure game pitchers.Like many players of that era, his career and potential was cut short by alcohol.

The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow

"OIL & GAS PIPELINES"  in nontechnical language. An easy read. Has some history thrown in.

"OIL AND GAS LAW IN A NUTSHELL" 5th Ed. A not so easy read.

Last week I bought four different Lauri Anderson books, to add to the three I already have.  Lauri is a guy (good Finnish Name).  He writes groups of stories about people, mostly those of Finnish extraction,  living in the northern reaches of the Yoop.  Sometimes funny, often kind of tragic, I've recently been drawn to Anerson's works, probably because I'm also drawn to the lands and water of which he writes.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service