TBD

TBD on Ning

#1Son and I are leaving tomorrow for our drive across country and back. We're going to try to go through as many states as we can.

What is your opinion of the state of your state? Have things gotten better or worse in the past few years...has the weather changed, has your opinion of living where you do changed? What state do you live in.

I live in Central NJ. Many people have lost their jobs here. The pharmaceutical companies who have their homebases here, have been particularly hard on the employment lines. My friend, Pete, who is a computer genious has just been evicted from his apartment (of 12 years), because he couldnt pay the rent (he is our age.)

Last summer was wet and cold and the fruit did not ripen. This year it is sunny and very hot. The plums are just coming in and they are wildly sweet. The berries came in early and people seem to be getting their fall allergies early.

Thats the state of my state. (it's ok to have wildly different opinions, even if you live next door to one another.) What is the State of Your State?

Tags: economy, farming, lifestyle, opinion

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hear in Middle Tennessee as most people know we had some serious floods in the spring but now it is hot and very dry. Most things have recovered from the flood except the really big ones like Gaylord Opryland Hotel and the Opry House. I wish we could have just a little of that water now. The economy here has not been as bad as some other places but it is not as strong as it was 4 or 5 years ago. Lots of insurance, hospitaliy, auto manufacturing and medical things here. All have held on pretty well. I guess Volkswagon and Nissan did better than GM or Chrysler. But Saturn completely shut down and all the workers went back to wherever they came from.
We have lots of history if you like such things.
I guess somedays , these days , I feel as if we are single handedly keeping the pharmaceutical companies going.The largest, highest paying employer went bust many years ago in this Mill town at the base of Mount Kahtahdin. The home vacancy rate is high , but crime here is next to nothing and the shopping leaves something to be desired if you want to be able to touch what you are buying first instead of over the internet. As for rainfall, the basement is fairly dry and the backyard is lush and untamed. It isn't unusual to meet very nice people here. To have your groceries put into your car for you. I'm not sure how unusual it is but the ambulance that took my husband to the ER a few weeks ago , also brought him home and helped back into the house. We have an excellent pizza place that delivers, better pizza than in Bangor. I was invited to volunteer at the local church thrift store one day when I was there in March and almost instantly put in charge of the cash box on the second floor. These people barely knew me from Adam as the saying goes. I am starting to get truly embarrassed if I lock my car or house. Pinch me, I like it here.
We are finally able to plant crops here.
It has been too cold and wet.
Coldest year on record.
We were lucky to make it to 60.
90 tomorrow, boo
Texas has it's own state of mind and Pru. Come down to Houston and I will get Pru out of moth balls.
Drove from NJ to harrisburg, pa in the exteme heat. Where did ALL THAT traffic come from? Through MD and into West Virginia, where we spent the night. Got a sumptuous hotel for $79. Both states are beautiful and lush green, the last of which we prpobably wont see for a while...(I think the rest in brown and dry. Will find out first hand. Son is driving today. My driving foot has a blister the size of a quarter dollar. We may try for a late check out and get some pictures of this remarkable little city! More later and MUCH LOVE to you all. MotherSanity
Drove from NJ to harrisburg, pa in the exteme heat. Where did ALL THAT traffic come from? Through MD and into West Virginia, where we spent the night. Got a sumptuous hotel for $79. Both states are beautiful and lush green, the last of which we prpobably wont see for a while...(I think the rest in brown and dry. Will find out first hand. Son is driving today. My driving foot has a blister the size of a quarter dollar. We may try for a late check out and get some pictures of this remarkable little city! More later and MUCH LOVE to you all. MotherSanity
Aggie, I'm thinking I might have to do just that! MS
I like Arizona.
I am currently in Mt Vernon , IL. I think I'm the thinnest one around.
America. What has become of you. Sees like all there are is the very rich and the very poor. We see wide open country, and little cities which are decimated. The stores are closed and boarded up. The only businesses thriving are bars and churches. Sigh.

Today, we are leaving Mt. Vernon, IL. We've had lots of problems. My phone was savagely and fatally attacked by a pool; my computer is working on a shoe string (opened it up and it seems the cat missed the litter box; my email accounts, all but gmail are down, and we are tired and sore. Thank God son is an adult (at 17, I repeat, thank God), because crossing the country in a Miata is like climbing Mt Everest. You dont take kiddies to climb Mt. Everest.
This is one of my tomato plants. We had very cold temperatures here this summer.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service