TBD

TBD on Ning

I couldn't believe when I read this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.
AP

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 21 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

Tags: race

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Justice of the Peace Ward 8
23288 Bardwell Rd.
Ponchatoula, LA 70454
Phone: (985) 542-1732 report corrections here
He is from the 8th Ward..FYI
AWW, you Sweet Peach :-) Thought I would wear Jack Skeleton from "Nightmare Before Christmas" for the Halloween season. Don't think people are getting it though :-)
Frankly I'm not surprised that people with these attitudes still exist. Hopefully his offspring will have a more progressive mindset.
The last laws prohibiting interracial marriages were rolled back 40 years ago.
For crying out loud!!! I can't stand stupid like this. arghhhh
Too bad someone didn't deny him a justice of the peace license based on a concern for mixing ignorance with progressive society. Something like: "I have piles and piles of ignorant friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
go south---you have not seen nothing yet!!!!!!---
Savannah
I agree bigotry knows no bounds. I was raised in an area many would consider very liberal yet had the last KKK circle in the west and still had laws against blacks being out after dark.
Don't be too quick to judge ... My ex wife, the mother of my sons is Portuguese and French, and I'm Southern Californian, and I'll tell you one of my kids is a real dumb ass. Nobody really likes him .............

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service