Text: Luke 12: 49-59
49 “I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!
50 “But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!
51 “Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division.
52 “For from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three.
53 “Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”
54 Then He also said to the multitudes, “Whenever you see a cloud rising out of the west, immediately you say, ‘A shower is coming’; and so it is.
55 “And when you see the south wind blow, you say, ‘There will be hot weather’; and there is.
56 “Hypocrites! You can discern the face of the sky and of the earth, but how is it you do not discern this time?
57 “Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right?
58 “When you go with your adversary to the magistrate, make every effort along the way to settle with him, lest he drag you to the judge, the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison.
59 “I tell you, you shall not depart from there till you have paid the very last mite.”
A. Shared the gospel with the pagan Celts of Ireland bringing many people to faith in Christ.
B. Prayer - "Lord, we pray that your Holy Spirit would move among us as He did among the Irish in Patrick’s day."
A. Can symbolize: God’s presence (as in the burning bush); purification (Numbers 31:23); Holy Spirit (at Pentecost ); and judgment, both earthly judgment (Sodom and Gomorrah) as well as eternal judgment (hell).
B. Context of verses show Jesus is talking in terms of judgment
A. Making a profession of faith in Jesus Christ - baptism in water (Acts 8:35-39);
B. By the Holy Spirit when a person gets saved (Acts 2:38; Matthew 3:11 and Luke 3:16);
C. Cleansing; particularly in 2 Kings 5 (Naaman dips or baptizes seven times to be cleansed from leprosy.)
D. Death: Romans 6:4 teaches, "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."
C. Luke 12:50 - Jesus symbolically refers to His baptism into death.
1. All have disobeyed God and deserve to die.
2. Jesus never sinned but He chose to die in order to take our punishment upon Himself.
3. Just because Jesus chose death in order to save us didn’t make His death any easier.
a. Luke 22:44 says “His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.”
b. Hematidrosis - condition n which stress level is so high the capillaries burst causing blood to mix with sweat.
A. Those who do not repent and trust in Jesus are under God’s judgment.
B. According to Ephesians 4:3 unity is “of the Spirit.”
1. Dustin Benge quote: “unity is automatic where the Spirit dwells.”
2. If unity in the truth doesn’t exist it’s because we’ve disrupted it through sin.
3. United Methodist Church special general conference vote
C. Confusion in translations of what angels said in Luke 2: 14
1. Translation from original Greek - “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.” NASB
2. Jesus brought to earth the promise of peace with God not peace with the world.
Romans 5:1 says, "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
A. Shows where everyone stands.
1. Lets us know who we should pray salvation for; it lets us know who needs to hear the gospel.
2. Jesus wishes the fires of division were already lit up so that we would know where the mission field is.
3. And today for the most part we do: and the truth is the mission field is everywhere.
Prayer - Holy Spirit we need your help! Convict hearts and help us to be good witnesses of the gospel.
A. Weather signs
1. Recent difficulty of meteorologists predicting weather.
2. Short-term forecasts using common weather patterns of Israel (Luke 12:54-55)
B. Signs of the times
1. Crowds failure to recognize Jesus as the long-awaited Messiah
2. Waiting for Jesus Christ to come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and set up a kingdom that has no end.
C. Ready for eternity?
1. Debt owed - try to work out settlement before court judgement
2. All of us have a sin debt. And after you die or Jesus returns (whatever comes first) judgment will be passed down on you.
3. Jesus Christ will pay the penalty of your sin debt in full so long as you turn away from your sins and trust in Him.
Division shows us where our mission field is and the signs of the times shows us our urgency.
Player will open in a new window.
Do you feel an emptiness in your life? Are you seeking answers but don't know where to look? Have you ever wondered if you are good enough? Please read the summary of the gospel message, "Four Things You Need to Know About God"