TBD

TBD on Ning

It’s an honest mistake, assuming that the Constitution only protects your own personal megachurch faith. But one Louisiana Republican is learning the hard way that religious school vouchers can be used to fund education at all sorts of religious schools, even Muslim ones. And while she’s totally in favor of taxpayer money being used to pay for kids to go to Christian schools, she’s willing to put a stop to the entire program if Muslim schools are going to be involved.

Valarie Hodges admitted that when she supported Governor Bobby Jindal’s school voucher program, she only did so because she assumed the religious school vouchers could only be used for Christian schools. Religious freedom means that everyone’s free to follow Valarie Hodges’ religion! She explains,

I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools. I liked the idea of giving parents the option of sending their children to a public school or a Christian school.

As The Friendly Atheist points out, the brand of Christianity currently espoused by many in the religious right wing would be pretty unrecognizable to the Founding Fathers, who were pretty high on Deism and pretty low on Christian rock concerts/ talking about The Children’s collective virginity/ having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. But whatever. Facts are immaterial at this point.

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

where do they find these dimwits? i just watched a dvd called "The Revisionaries" about the texas commission on textbook and curriculum standards. don mclemore, the chairman at the time of the filming, is a dentist but get this...he believes that noah had dinosaurs on the ark. the commission is a lively place dealing with intelligent design, creationism, pointing out the defects in evolutionary theory.....all in all welcome back to the middle ages

It's not so much a case of "where do they find these dimwits", as it's a case of they know these dimwits are out there (and always will be), and they tailor their message towards them, in order to beef up their membership levels.

A political action group that disguises itself as a church won't be able to get any legislation enacted without enough voters doing their bidding. Fortunately for them (and unfortunately for everybody else), they know damn well that if some sucker is too dumb or intellectually lazy to sift through their message and address the inconsistencies and contradictions when it concerns something as supposedly valuable as their "eternal soul", then they're even less likely to take a close look at whatever seemingly mundane bond issue or "tax incentive" they're telling them to vote for.

These Religious Right folks do give us a lot to chew on, don’t they.  I enthusiastically recommend a book I recently read called Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans by David Niose.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service