TBD

TBD on Ning

i stumbled across this and thought it might be handy for some

Free eBooks: Collections

Free classics and out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books

With over one million titles, the Kindle Store contains the largest selection of the ebooks people want to read including New York Times® Best Sellers and most new releases from $9.99. And Amazon provides thousands of the most popular classics for free with wireless delivery in under 60 seconds to your Kindle, computer, or other mobile device.

But of course, the Internet is huge and there are lots of older, out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books online. We wanted to make it easier to find these collections, which today represent nearly 2 million titles. See the sites and instructions below to download free classic and other out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books and transfer via USB to your Kindle device or read on Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac.

Note that these large collections of older free ebooks are typically created from scanned copies of physical books and can have variable quality.

Kindle Store - Thousands of Popular Classics

The Amazon Kindle Store lets you choose from thousands of the most popular classics all available for free with wireless delivery in under 60 seconds via Whispernet.

1. Visit Kindle Popular Classics.

2. Browse for a title just like a normal Kindle ebook.

Internet Archive - Over 2.5 million free titles

Internet Archive is a non-profit dedicated to offering permanent access to historical collections that exist in digital format. Provides over 2.5 million free ebooks to read, download, and enjoy.

1. Visit archive.org.

2. Search for a title or browse one of the sub-collections like American Libraries.

3. When viewing a title, click the link on the left labeled "Kindle" to download the file to your computer.

4. Attach your Kindle to your computer using your USB cable and drag the file to the "Documents" folder on your Kindle. You can also e-mail the file to your Kindle using Whispernet for wireless delivery (charges may apply).

5. Open the ebook from your Kindle's home screen and enjoy.

Open Library - Over 1 million free titles

Open Library's goal is to provide a page on the web for every book ever published.

1. Visit openlibrary.org.

2. Search for a title and make sure to check the 'Only show eBooks' checkbox.

3. When viewing a title, click the 'Send to Kindle' link next to the edition in which you're interested.

4. You will be directed to Amazon.com to choose a device for wireless delivery using the Kindle Personal Document Service (charges apply).

Project Gutenberg - Over 30,000 free titles

Project Gutenberg, one of the original sources of free ebooks, is dedicated to the creation and distribution of eBooks.

1. Visit gutenberg.org.

2. Search for a title or browse the book shelves by topic.

3. When viewing a title, scroll down to the 'Download this ebook for free' section and click the download link for 'Mobipocket' or 'Mobipocket with images' format.

4. Attach your Kindle to your computer using your USB cable and drag the file to the "Documents" folder on your Kindle. You can also e-mail the file to your Kindle using Whispernet for wireless delivery (charges may apply).

ManyBooks.net - Over 26,000 free titles

ManyBooks.net provides free ebooks as a service to the Internet community at large.

1. Visit manybooks.net.

2. Search for a title or browse by genre.

3. When viewing a title, choose the "Kindle (.azw)" option on the right hand side and click the 'Download' button.

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

I had a Kindle reader . I bought a Samsung Galaxy 2 . 10.1 .It has the Kindle app on it . So my Kindle account works with it . Got over 100 books on it . Mostly older free books . What i like is you can enlarge the writing to suit your eyes . I gave my Kindle to my Granddaughter to enjoy ...

I signed up for Bookbub, sends an email every day with free and low cost books, you choose the genre you like. Easier than going thru all the lists and finding some that aren't full books and the other tricky ones for prime members supposed to be free but involve some other actions. 

I have more books than I can possibly read and download about 12 more every week.

I also get lists from BookBub, Bookperk, Ereader News Today, BookGorilla, and One Hundred Free Books daily.  I now check with the library on any book I like to see if they have it before I buy it - otherwise...well you readers know what I mean!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service