TBD

TBD on Ning

The Fourth Annual Polish Festival
Our Lady of Czestochowa Church

Houston’s Polish Festival is a celebration of all things Polish – the food, the music, the language, the customs and the culture of the Polish people. The Festival is held on the grounds of Our Lady of Czestochowa Church conveniently located at 1731 Blalock Drive, about 1.5 miles north of the Katy Freeway. Featured at the Festival is a large sampling of traditional Polish foods such as pierogi (stuffed dumplings), golabki (cabbage rolls) and kielbasa (sausage) and a huge assortment of traditional cakes, rolls and desserts lovingly prepared by our parishioners.

Entertainment Program for the Fourth Annual Polish Festival
Saturday, May 1

10:00am – 10:15am………Opening ceremonies and the National anthems of Poland and the U.S.A.
10:15am – 11:15am……… The Slavic Heritage Band performs spirited polkas and waltzes
11:15am – 11:45am………. Polish “Oldies but Goodies” performed by Teresa Puchala & Cleo Rundzjo
11:45am – 12:30pm……… The Slavic Heritage Band performs more spirited polkas and waltzes
12:30pm – 1:30pm….……The Gorale Band  presents traditional, regional Polish music
1:30pm – 2:30pm………..The youth from our Polish school perform traditional Polish dances & songs
2:30pm – 3:30pm…….. Cut a rug with Music by Brian Marshall and the Texas Slavik Playboys, Texas-Polish dance band
3:30pm – 4:30pm…….….Our parish’s own musical group Zawadiaki plays traditional and modern Polish music
4:30pm – 5:30pm……….Continue the celebration with Brian Marshall and the Texas Slavik Playboys
5:30pm – 6:00pm….The Gorale Band is joined by the youth from our Polish school for traditional songs & dances
6:00pm – 7:00pm………..Kawiarenka, a showcase of performers and an intro to our festival sponsors
7:00pm – 8:00pm………..Put your dancing shoes back on for Brian Marshall and the Texas Slavik Playboys
8:00pm – 10:00pm………Dance the night away to music by Zawadiaki & DJ Chris Piorkowski

Sunday, May 2

12:00pm – 12:30pm………Opening ceremonies with colors presented by the youth of our Polish school
12:30pm – 1:30pm……… A special presentation and a performance by the youth from our Polish school
1:30pm – 2:30pm…………. Our parish’s own musical group Zawadiaki plays traditional and modern Polish music
2:30pm – 3:30pm…………Pull up a chair and be entertained by Chris Rybak, Texas cowboy accordionist
3:30pm – 4:00pm………… Kawiarenka, a showcase of performers and an intro to our festival organizers
4:00pm – 5:30pm………….More great songs & music by Chris Rybak, Texas cowboy accordionist
5:30pm – 6:00pm………….Close out the festival dancing to the music by  DJ Chris Piorkowski

Tags: Houston, Polish, Texas

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Pru and I plan to go on Sunday!
Good! Enjoy the day, both of you!
Thank you! We will be Polish for a day.
:-)
Hug
Aggie hug!

Golabki

Ingredients
•1 head cabbage
•1 cup uncooked rice
•1 onion, chopped fine
•2 teaspoons butter
•1 pound ground beef
•½ pound ground pork
•1 egg
•½ teaspoon salt
•½ teaspoon pepper
•½ teaspoon garlic powder
•4 slices bacon
•2 cans concentrated tomato soup

Procedure
1.Pour boiling water over the cabbage to loosen the leaves.
2.Remove a few leaves at a time as they soften.
3.Place the rice in 1 cup of water and boil 10 minutes.
4.Sauté the onions in butter until partly browned.
5.Combine with the rice, meat, egg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder; mix well.
6.Place some of the meat mixture on the stem of a cabbage leaf and roll over once. (Part of the thick stem section can be cut off first for easier rolling.) Tuck in the sides of the leaf and finish rolling.
7.If needed, fasten rolled leaf with a toothpick.
8.To cook, place the slices of bacon with a few cabbage leaves and any leftover small leaves at the bottom of the baking dish.
9.Place the rolls on top, cover with the tomato soup, and place any leftover cabbage leaves on top.
10.Cover with a lid or foil and bake about 2 to 2½ hours at 300°F.

Serves 6

My Mom used to make these occasionally.  She and I were the only ones in the family who liked them.

Thanks, Aggie!

I sent a copy to Dot and figured I would paste it hear also. I only eat them at the Polish Festivals. I have never made them.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service