TBD

TBD on Ning

This week will hit triple digits here in Texas.  Am happy to be able to stay inside with the company of a good book. Just finished Lisa Scottoline's CORRUPTED. Have found all her books captivating!

Arriving at library today for me is THE SUMMER I MET JACK. This is a ficional story based on JFK.  

What do you recommend for a summer read? I recently returned from a trip to Leesburg, VA, visiting my daughter for a few days. Enjoyed watching The Royal Wedding with her.

Tomorrow my youngest granddaughter graduates from high school here.  All her sibs are flying in to wish her well.  She plans to begin college in the fall majoring in Deaf Studies. She already signs and plans to be an ASL interpreter.    

Wishing all a safe and healthy summer. 

Views: 493

Replies to This Discussion

I'm reading A Breath After Drowning by Alice Blanchard. It is very good, with several story lines going on, but all related in one way or another. It is a complex tale with a complex heroine, a psychiatrist whose sister was murdered sixteen years ago. The killer was convicted but a detective tells her that he believes he was the wrong person and that the real murderer is still out there killing other young girls. Hard to put down but with summer activities of all kinds, I had to do so several times.

Thanks, Loruach!  Our library system has one copy of this new book available and will ship it to my branch tomorrow.  Looks like a terrific read!

Loruach, finished this book in the wee hours this morning. What a ride! Toward the last part of book it was impossible to put it down!  Thanks for recommending!

This, too, is why I read. The book is "Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine" by Alan Lightman. I had long known this, of course, but the way that he put it just struck me deeply.

"It is astonishing but true that if I could attach a small tag to each of the atoms of my body and travel with them backward in time, I would find that those atoms originated in particular stars in the sky. Those exact atoms."

As Carl Sagan said, We are stardust.

This is a wonderful book, a series of ruminations, each a chapter on subjects like Longing for Absolutes in a Relative World, Stars, Atoms, Truth, Doctrine, Certainty and so forth. It is a loan from the library but I may buy it just to have it on hand.

Thanks for the recommendation of Lightman's book. It is a thought stirring read.

The most interesting is his struggle to come to terms with his mystical experience both in the pre-historic cave in France and on his boat in Maine. His logic is a bit muddled but he is honest in expressing his thoughts and feelings. Many scientists are atheists who profess no beliefs in Absolutes, however a great many of them are also materialists. If something cannot be recorded, measured and reproduced, it cannot exist. It is an idea and a belief, yet most materialists do not recognize this view as a belief.

Poem by Julia Donaldson

“I opened a book and in I strode.
Now nobody can find me.
I've left my chair, my house, my road,
My town and my world behind me.
I'm wearing the cloak, I've slipped on the ring,
I've swallowed the magic potion.
I've fought with a dragon, dined with a king
And dived in a bottomless ocean.
I opened a book and made some friends.
I shared their tears and laughter
And followed their road with its bumps and bends
To the happily ever after.
I finished my book and out I came.
The cloak can no longer hide me.
My chair and my house are just the same,
But I have a book inside me.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The books I have inside me recently that I will recommend are:

Under a Cloudless Sky by Chris Fabry

The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni

The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne

Check them out at:     https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

Great poem! "...and in I strode." Yes. When you read a book, you enter another world.

Starting a new book tonight, THE POSSIBLE WORLD   Looks like a winner!  Here, give it a look/see.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36373429-the-possible-world

sounds good rapa,  I just ordered it from the library :)

Finished CLOCK DANCE by Anne Tyler last night. Easy, fast summer read.  Always enjoy the Baltimore setting of her books. Especially enjoyed the ending of this book!  Now don't peek!    ;)

Just finished Orphan X...  it is the first in a series by Gregg Hurwitz.  I was just so-so... altho I liked the premise there was too much description of weapons used and execution of moves (word fillers) & too many characters to keep track of...  Think I'll skip the next one for now.

Just starting The Possible World on your recommendation, Rapa.  Did you like it?  

Carci, I did like THE POSSIBLE WORLD especially the farther I got into it. Yesterday I started to read Zoje Stage's BABY TEETH.  Have nothing good to say about it and returning it to library today

I did start and got happily involved in Paul Doiron's STAY HIDDEN, It's a game warden book.  The story takes place on an island off Maine. Grabbed me immediately!  The first sentence of the book reads "There were two hunting deaths in Maine that day. And the deer season had barely even begun."   I think this book is especially right up Loruach's alley!!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service