TBD

TBD on Ning

TV's 'People Are Funny' host Art Linkletter dies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100526/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_art_linkletter

LOS ANGELES – Art Linkletter, who as the gently mischievous host of TV's "People Are Funny" and "House
Party
" in the 1950s and '60s delighted viewers with his ability
to get kids — and grownups — to say the darndest things on national
television, died Wednesday. He was 97.

Linkletter died at his home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles, said his son-in-law, Art Hershey, the husband of Sharon Linkletter.

"He lived a long, full, pure life, and the Lord had need for him," Hershey said.

Linkletter had been ill "in the last few weeks time, but bear in mind he was 97 years old. He wasn't eating well, and the aging process took him," Hershey said.

Linkletter hadn't been diagnosed with any life-threatening disease, he said.

Linkletter was known on TV for his funny interviews with children and ordinary folks. He also collected their comments in a number of best-selling books.

"Because of Art Linkletter, adults found themselves enjoying children," said Bill Cosby, whose style interviewing kids on his own show in the late
'90s was often compared to Linkletter's.

"An amazing fellow, a terrific broadcast talent, a brilliant businessman. An all-around good guy," CNN's Larry King added about his longtime friend and frequent guest.

Asked what made Linkletter so appealing to audiences, King said, "He had an unusual voice, a twang to his voice that was immediately recognizable. And he looked like your favorite uncle."

"Art Linkletter's House Party," one of television's
longest-running variety shows, debuted on radio in 1944 and was seen on
CBS-TV from 1952 to 1969
[...]

Tags: Good, People

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my first and most fondest memories of TV.....he made kids look good....:-)
He had a great run...
Yes, he made us laugh. I didn't get to see his show too much because I was in school when it was on. His show helped me endure the measles, mumps, flu, etc. though.
He was great with the kids, and he was a good guy.
Art was great and he proved that kids are literal.
His show was always funny and might have been relevant but I was very young.
SG, so now you bragging?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service