TBD

TBD on Ning

Can each of you think of just one small thing

you can do for the people in your neighborhood?

It might be something as small as putting your

extra quarter in the gumball machine and leaving

the candy for the next little kid who checks. Or ?

I'm looking for ideas.

Views: 22

Replies to This Discussion

I leave stuff on the street; It goes.
so far a gas grille, a 4 burner cooktop, two double-hung anderson windows, a stainless steel sink, a lavender bathroom sink from the sixties, old birch doors, a non-working kitchen oven, chairs, floor lamp.
Somebody's getting helped here....its just a mystery as to who that is.
the teal sink from the half-bath goes next.
just gotta get it uninstalled
Hey Quinn, the neighborhood barbque you suggested is being held tomorrow from 4-6pm in the vacant lot I told you about. Great idea you had!
O, I'm so glad to hear that!
Have fun! Tell your neighbors I said Hi :-)
I lived downtown in a quaint little village in SE Michigan for a few years. During downtown events we would put a dog bowl filled w/water at our edge of the sidewalk, so dogs that had been brought could get water. That was well received by the dog owners. This house was literally next door to the Police Department - our driveways ran together. We took plates of food over to the police officers & dispatchers at the afternoon shift change on holidays, so the a.m. shift & the p.m. shift both got plates of food. They loved us. They looked after us & our house all the time. They also used to pull me over just to give me sh!t. ;-p

Here I casually tutored the kid next door last year. Nothing scheduled; he'd just come over (sometimes in his pj's at nearly bedtime '-) & have me help him w/his homework.
One of our neighbors isn't very good at keeping their Shelties and the yapping whatever-the-hell-it-is fenced up, and I'm forever rescuing them from the middle of the street and redepositing them in their yard. Better than one of my dogs eating them, I suppose...

The Sheltie in particular seems to escape a lot when there's a storm coming up, and he seems to get kinda disoriented by the sound of thunder, like he loses his sense of direction or something - It always seems to drive him to find that spot in his fence where he can squeeze through, and then wander around like he can't find his way fifty feet back to his house. No sense in letting him get drenched or run over, the poor little guy....
Well, I have a reputation for helping strays & shelter dogs, but I think it's more them finding me than the other way around. One of the oddest was a young pit bull mix who actually broke into my backyard. He wanted in so badly that he wound up taking the gate off its hinges. Of course, in doing so, he got his head stuck in the gate, & I found him wandering around w/the gate thru his head. And one of my dogs & my foster dog at that time was missing, b/c now there was no gate at my fence to keep my dogs in. sigh...
I found my dog & my foster dog, unharmed in the neighborhood, and I got the really sweet little pit bull hooked up w/the shelter where I volunteer. He & I even managed to get the gate extricated from his head w/out me having to try & explain it at the vet's office. I had this vision of taking him in my truck, w/his head stuck thru the gate, to the vet... walking into the office w/him attached to the gate & trying to explain, "Well, obviously this dog really wanted to get into my backyard, so he took the gate off its hinge, & here he is." ;-p
My fiancee had a scary-smart GSD who once taught himself how to not only unlatch a fence gate, but who then paraded around her neighborhood and released a dozen other dogs from their yards. They had a grand old time, wandering through the village and getting into mischief - All while the town's mayor stood by and watched from his parlor window, and did nothing. And one of the dogs was his.

Even though there was no actual property damage of any kind, she still got whacked with a $900.00-plus fine for that, ($75.00 per dog, plus court costs), and she decided to move someplace a little less uptight and where she was allowed to put a lock on her fence gate. (That's right -There was a village law in place that barred her from doing the exact thing that would have prevented her dog from getting out. She smelled a rat in Denmark, and got the hell out. That town is a shithole, anyway.)
Well, I never moon old people.
Well, Stir, why not? I don't approve of your prejudice. I think you should be an equal opportunity mooner. Seniors deserve the same rights & privileges of everybody else!
OK, thank you all for your responses. Here's another question in the same vein.
If you had the time and/or inclination, what small thing could you do for the
low income families in your town?
That's a toughie......I'm a low income family....and I don't really want any help with anything. I guess if I felt a family really needed help, I would try to help them by possibily showing them a better or easier way to do things. I'm not in a position to aid with money. I see a lot of misuse of assets around here, and a lot of misunderstanding by well meaning people trying to help.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service