TBD

TBD on Ning

Nearly Entire Staff Laid Off at Eons, Says Founder Jeff Taylor

Erin Kutz 11/18/10

[Updated with additional information, Nov. 18, 2010]–-Boston baby boomer and social networking site Eons, which has raised $32 million in two rounds of financing led by two venture capital giants—General Catalyst Partners and Sequoia Capital—yesterday laid off nearly its entire remaining staff, founder Jeff Taylor said tonight.

Taylor, who previously founded Monster.com, revealed the layoff news during his keynote talk tonight at a VIP dinner leading up to tomorrow’s MIT Venture Capital Conference. We could not directly follow up with Taylor but will report back as we gather additional details. The fate of Eons itself could not be confirmed.

Eons launched in 2006. Its latest venture round was a $22 million Series B round that closed in March 2007. Since then Eons has struggled to reinvent itself. Originally founded as an Internet portal for the aging Baby Boomer crowd, it had the slogan “Lovin’ Life on the Flip Side of 50.” But after spending a lot of money with little traction, it removed its over-50 age limit early in 2008 as part of a bid to remake itself as a more general social networking site.

Update, November 18, 9:40 pm—

We caught up with Taylor briefly after his talk tonight. He says he laid off seven of the 12 remaining Eons employees, leaving it with just five staffers. He said the intent behind the move was to focus his remaining resources on Meetcha.com, an Eons-developed dating site for people over 40 that launched in December 2009.

Tags: eons

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You missed supper Saturday night.
Always good to see a meet-up.....
They don't look so old...just saying...!
Methinks you're the young 'un in the crowd!
I believe one guy was younger than me. I never talk about a womans age.
It was what Eons calls a skit. But I refuse to wear a skit and just wear my Cowboy Cut Wranglers. I was first time most of us to met. I had only met one of them before several years ago. But several I have been friends with on the site for several years.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service