TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6019

Replies to This Discussion

As soon as we slap a label on someone (leftist, rightist, rich, poor, Christian, Muslim etc) we think we understand them, we think we have them covered.

Wrong.

You have instead obscured them. You only see them through that narrow lens now.

They have infinite depths.

~ Andrew @everydayawaken

"Equanimity is the fulfillment of compassion, kindness, and altruistic joy.."

~  Rick Hanson

And it's a good day sunshine!

"When the division between myself and the rest of the world is driven by confusion and turmoil... I may be able to ease the spasm of self-centeredness by realizing that I am not a fixed essence but an interactive cluster of processes"
~ Stephen Batchelor

"Sit with it. Sit with it. Sit with it. Sit with it. Even though you want to run. Even when it’s heavy and difficult. Even though you’re not quite sure of the way through. Healing happens by feeling." ~Dr. Rebecca Ray

"You know how every once in a while you do something and the little voice inside says, 'There. That’s it. That’s why you’re here.' …and you get a warm glow in your heart because you know it’s true? Do more of that." ~Jacob Nordby

“We tend to think of life as a long journey, but life is a succession of small #moments. If we notice them, the ‘doing’ of life can become less of an automatic chore and more of a conscious engagement with our hearts and the world around us.”
THE MINDFULNESS PROJECT

"Give people their flowers while they're still alive."  ~  Tiny Buddha

"Once we’re aware, we naturally stop doing things that don’t make us feel good. Living mindfully gives us more choice." -- THE MINDFULNESS PROJECT

"When this new sensation of self arises, it is at once exhilarating and a little disconcerting... There is indeed a certain passivity to the sensation, as if you were a leaf blown along by the wind, until you realize that you are both the leaf and the wind."
~ Alan Watts

"Feel the hurt, the anger, the fear, but let them flow through you. Let them go."

~  Rick Hanson

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service