TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5987

Replies to This Discussion

"One of the most important things you can practice in this life is to observe every interaction and decide whether the information is asking you to look closely at yourself and own something, or to look closely at yourself and acknowledge it's not about you." ~Vienna Pharaon

I stand by this, we should be consistently "mindful" of this criteria, but it raises a deeper question about the sources of our judgement.

"When you understand every opinion is a vision loaded with personal history, you will start to understand that all judgment is a confession." ~Nikola Tesla

Te judgement we use, must of needs be self-referencing.

"We look for this optimal point where there is a risk—there must be a risk, there must be chance, it mustn’t all be predetermined—because any game where the result is known is not worth playing."

~  Alan Watts

Life does not happen to us, it happens from us. ~ Mike Wickett

"You don't have the power to make life fair, but you do have the power to make life joyful."

~ Jonathan Lockwood Huie.

"The more we try to elaborate perfectly foolproof methods of arranging our lives, the more we find ourselves encumbered with impossible details. That’s the fallacy of too much law."  ~  Alan Watts

"There is no such thing as safety. There never was in life and there never will be. And unless you take that as your first premise in living, nothing will happen. You *must* be insecure."

~  Alan Watts

“The only person you can now or ever change is yourself. The only person that it is your business to control is yourself.” ~Melody Beattie

"What we call our spiritual journey is the slow (often painfully slow) realization that this is it - it’s not about someone else’s spirituality, or our teacher’s meditation, or any ideal of love. It’s just us, showing up, doing our best, opening our hearts ... breathe, this is it."  ~  Jason Garner

"Sit with it. Sit with it. Sit with it. Sit with it. Even though you want to run. Even when it’s heavy and difficult. Even though you’re not quite sure of the way through. Healing happens by feeling."

~Dr. Rebecca Ray

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service