TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5988

Replies to This Discussion

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~ Aesop

"If you can recognize and accept your pain without running away from it, you will discover that although pain is there, joy can also be there at the same time." Thich Nhat Hanh

"The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change." ~ J. Edwards

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it. ~ Salvador Dali

"If we haven’t been able to be happy and joyful, it’s because we’re caught in our ideas. So we have to be able to let them go. Our idea of happiness is the main obstacle to happiness."
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Peace isn’t about eliminating anxiety, anger, fear, etc; it’s about accepting them. As we learn to look inside and be okay with what we find—even love it—there’s no need for violent self-judgement. When we aren’t fearing the contents of our own hearts and minds, that’s peace."  ~  Jason Garner

"If you were happy all the time, you would never grow."  ~  Everydwy Mindfulness

"Peace is not when everyone agrees. It is when we can respect our disagreements and still play in the sandbox together." ~Unknown

It's election day. Play nice y'all.

"...if you've any sense at all you must have learned by now that we pay just as dearly for our triumphs and we do for our defeats."
-- Tom Robbins

That sounds a bit cynical, but the point here is to be less invested in certain outcomes and more attentive to the process. An overly zealous reward motivation can blind us to the moment.  And for what, if success is just as costly as failure? Sometimes failure is just a different door.

"How life ‘should be’ is just a story told by your mind. It gets in the way of you living the life that you have." ~ Everyday Mindfulness

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service