TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5988

Replies to This Discussion

Self-respect cannot be hunted. It cannot be purchased. It is never for sale. It cannot be fabricated out of public relations. It comes to us when we are alone, in quiet moments, in quiet places, when we suddenly realize that, knowing the good, we have done it; knowing the beautiful, we have served it; knowing the truth, we have spoken it."

-- Whitney Griswold

"Let me keep my distance, always, from those

who think they have the answers."

• ~ Mary Oliver

"Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams."
-- Mary Ellen Kelly

"The good life is not in the next city, the bigger house, the hotter spouse, the better job. It’s right here. Don’t forget."~ Everyday Mindfulness

"The value of everything in your life has the value that you give to it."  ~  Everyday Mindfulness

May we have the strength to face what holds our hearts hostage.

May we have the courage to feel our way through the letting go.

May grace support us in forgiving when and where we meet walls within ourselves.

- Octavia Raheem

"Clinging to people and experiences that were never ours in the first place is what causes us to miss out on the beauty of the miracle that is the now."

~  Rachel Brathen

"I used to think I could fix anything in my life if I just tried a little harder or gave it more time. But some things aren't meant to be 'fixed.' Sometimes all you can do is make peace with it and move forward, knowing you were doing the best you could."  ~  Tiny Buddah

"When we avoid or deny difficult feelings, we risk sending the message to both ourselves and others that these feelings aren't legitimate or even real. Naming and validating suffering opens the door to healing, growth, and understanding."  ~  Mindful Online

“It's only possible to live happily ever after on a moment-to-moment basis.” -Margaret Bonnano

"Acceptance is not passive."  ~  Everyday Mindfulness

Seems trivial at first, many deep truths are that way though. Think about it. Acceptance with indifference is nothing more than " changing the topic" and forgetting about it; no lesson learned. You might as well be passionate about it.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service