TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5988

Replies to This Discussion

"Don't forget, while you're busy doubting yourself, someone else is admiring your strength." ~Kristen Butler

Here's the difficulty with that. Sometimes, like right now, my self-doubt is so intrusive that I find it to hard to actually believe anyone could see strength in me. The problem is that we don't adequately express our admiration and gratitude for each others influences on us.

My intention for today is to express my appreciation to everyone in my life for the roles they play in inspiring me to keep moving forward.

"Wanting can disconnect us and take away from the present moment, causing us to suffer. Next time you find yourself wanting, can you let it go and return to the here and now?"  ~  The Mindfulness Project

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don't go back to sleep." ~ Rumi

I did not alight in this universe like a bird arriving upon a branch from some alien limbo. I grew upon that branch like a leaf. For I am something which everything is doing; I am the whole process waving a flag named me, and calling out, “Yoo-hoo!”

~ Alan Watts Daily

"If we are unduly absorbed in improving our lives we may forget altogether to live them."  ~ Alan Watts Daily

"Mindfulness helps us see that reality is not our idea of how things ought to be, but that it is simply what is."  ~  The Mindfulness Project

"Instead of what's the meaning of life, then, I'd rather ask what makes my life meaningful...I rejoice in there being no single meaning-in there being instead a multitude of meanings,...Meaning is ours to make and to choose." ~ Lesley Hazleton

"Clouds that thunder do not always rain."

~ Armenian Proverb

WAIT,  WHAT? Fleetwood Mac was wrong?

"If you surrender completely to the moments as they pass, you live more richly those moments." -- ANNE MORROW LINDBERGH

Awakening through Difficult Emotions: “The Poison is the Medicine” ~  Tara Brach 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service