TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 5988

Replies to This Discussion

This afternoon, while I was watching a rainbow that surprisingly popped up, I realized that there was a bluebird sitting on a wire in my line of sight to the rainbow. I've never seen a bluebird here in the city before. A rainbow with a bluebird! Has to be a good sign.

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We connect by recognizing ourselves in one another." ~ Sharon Salzberg

"We should appreciate what we are doing. There is no preparation for something else." ~ Shunryu Suzuki

"When the mind tries to spin away into anxious thoughts, the present moment can be a rock to hold onto." ~ Everyday Mindfulness

"For time changes the nature of the whole world, and all things must pass from one condition to another, nothing remains like itself."
--Lucretis 99 B.C. - 55 B.C.

"The spring flowers,

the autumn moon;

Summer breezes,

winter snow.

If useless things do not clutter your mind, You have the best days of your life." 

~ Mumon's verse, Case 19 of The Gateless Gate

"Joy can be like that—small, unassuming, disarming. It’s hiding in a cherry, a song note, or a pair of comfortable shoes."   ~ Mindful Online

"Facts are like stuffed animals in a glass case, only remotely suggesting the wild uncertain environment in which they had their beginning."
-- Michael Hawkins

The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is unchangeable or certain. ~ John F. Kennedy

"Routinely look for opportunities to enjoy, value, and feel grateful for little things in the natural world. These range from whatever is close by – flowers blooming, trees offering shade, honeybees moving from plant to plant – to the vast nest we all share."  ~  Rick Hanson

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service