TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6030

Replies to This Discussion

"We should not be afraid of suffering. We should only be afraid of one thing, and that is not knowing how to deal with our suffering."
❖ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Thoughts are only puffs of smoke rising from the chimney of the mind. Attaching attention to them is the heart of suffering."

— Wu Hsin

"Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I smile.
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment."
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"Spirituality is not a religion. It is a path for us to generate happiness, understanding, and love, so we can live deeply each moment if our life." Thich Nhat Hanh

One certain path to dissatisfaction with life is to desire what we don't have to such a degree that we forget to appreciate what we do have.

“We live in a society that breeds discontent by defining success as bigger homes, nicer cars, and fuller closets. Gratitude is the cure.” ~ Joshua Becker

Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit - talk about your joys! ~ Rita Schiano

"A Zen master once said this about anger: if this was the last five minutes of your life, would you want to spend it being this angry? If the answer is 'yes,' go ahead; otherwise, let it go." ~ Seth Zuiho Segall

"We constantly are confronted with a future that irretrievably plunges into the past, but in doing so demands that we firmly seize it in the present moment and project our possibilities into actualities." ~ John Blofeld

"The well-being of your body is not possible without the well-being of the planet. And that is why to protect the well-being of your body we must protect the well-being of the planet." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"The Zen way is to do your best in each moment, then let go. No matter how you try, you will never do things perfectly, but you can always do things well enough." ~ Seth Zuhio Segall

"We should be lifting each other up and cheering each other on, not trying to outshine one another. The sky would be awfully dark with just one star." ~ Stacie (tinnybuddha.com)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service