TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6029

Replies to This Discussion

"Buddha Nature is like a store of treasure inside the house of a pauper. The owner isn't aware of it and treasure cannot speak." — Buddhist proverb 

"How beautiful the world was when one looked at it without searching, just looked, simply and innocently."
❖ Hermann Hesse

"A human being is like a television set with millions of channels…. We cannot let just one channel dominate us. We have the seed of everything in us, and we have to recover our own sovereignty."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Our stream of thoughts represents all the different, contradictory voices contending with each other in the recesses of our mind. They are not One, they are Legion. I am the one perspective that observes them. What will I make of them?

"Perhaps the most spiritual thing any of us can do is simply look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness."  ~   Jon Kabat-Zinn 

"7 Qualities of a Mindful person:
They hold thoughts lightly
They feel what they are feeling
They accept the transient nature of things
They meditate
They do one thing at a time
They turn everyday tasks into mindful moments
They protect and nurture themselves " ~ @MrsMindfulness

"Your spiritual practice does not occur someplace other than in your life right now, and your life is nowhere other than where you are."

— Karen Maezen Miller

"Wherever you go, there you are."  ~   Jon Kabat-Zinn (notably), and others possibly back to Confucius 

“The problem is not that the world is a mess, but that we expect it to be otherwise.” ~ @matthaig1
#mindfulness

My 'knee-jerk' reaction here was to get 'Huffy' and say "Why shouldn't we expect the world Not to be a mess? We should aim high with our expectations." But then I realized that while I was heaping these negative feelings on myself, I had lost touch with any thoughts I might have had about cleaning up the mess. The world is as we find it. We start where we are at.

"Today is priceless. No amount of money will ever bring it back. Savour the final moments of today by noticing something you’d otherwise miss while caught up in the busyness of your day." ~ @MindfulAcademix
#mindfulness

"Here it is – right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it."
❖ Huang Po

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service