TBD

TBD on Ning

Rabbit! Rabbit! Rabbit!!   The Ides of March are upon us!!  What are you reading this month??  Are you reading for adventure? escape? romance? knowledge?  As always our choices are many....too many books, not enough time!!

I am finally reading Elizabeth Strout's My Name is Lucy Barton; a tender tale about a daughter still trying for a relationship with her mother.  At times, it just breaks my heart, but I haven't given up on them yet.

I'm also reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  This book, which deals with aging and our medical community, has been on my nightstand for over a year.  It's an excellent read and more about living life to its fullest, but also speaks to the realities of the shortcomings of our society toward our final years. There is no cure for getting old and we all hopefully get to experience it.  It is an interesting read, but I seem to only be able to read it in small bites.

Do any of you remember reading The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew?  This was a debut novel by a 70-year old woman.  Published in 2011, she shared her story with us on the old Bookoholics site and joked about getting a 2-book deal with her publisher.  It had taken her 18 years to write her book and she wondered if she would have the time to write another.  The answer is YES!! as she shared on Facebook this week,

1. I just wrote two of the loveliest words in the dictionary:
  2. THE END

We don't have a title yet, and of course, it will be months before publication, but I will keep you posted.

Enough of me, what are you reading this month?

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

Went to the movies to see The Sense of an Ending and was pleasantly surprised.  It is an interesting story about our perceptions of life as we live out our own.  I've read the book twice: when it was published and won the Man Booker Prize, and again last month for my F2F book club.  The book has 2 parts: first part in set in the 1960's when the main character. Tony Webster, is a teenager; the second part is in the 21st century and Tony is now a senior.  A series of events cause him to examine his life, and he discovers things weren't always as he thought they were.  Being a similar age to Tony, he made me think about my life.  I enjoyed the book as well as the movie, which captured the essence of the story.  Good job!

Thanks! Am not familiar with that story. Will go on my TBR list.

Currently reading Lisa See's new THE TEA GIRL FROM HUMMINGBIRD LANE. Just started it last night so will have to get back with you with recommendation. Reading of different cultures astounds me!

Ursula, thought of you yesterday when the terrorist attack happened in London. We can't stop working on our bucket lists due to random happenings. Would love to do the
Guernsey Tour!

My friend Robyne flew into London on Wednesday, the very next day after the incident.  You are so right when you wrote "We can't stop working on our bucket lists due to random happenings."

My husband used to tell me, "You think I will die first because I am older than you, BUT you could get hit by a bus."  Random incidents affect all our lives, but that shouldn't keep us from living our lives.  But do watch out for those buses!!

I love Lisa See!!  Did I ever mention that I met her years ago?  She came to my local library and only about 10 people showed up for the 10 AM meeting (They now schedule those events in the evening and several hundred people come.)  Anyway I got to sit with her and chat.  What fun!!  Her first book. On Gold Mountain, was about her Chinese grandfather.  She is a strawberry blonde; it is hard to realize that she is part Chinese.  She told me family reunions are a hoot because of her part of the family.  Grandpa had 4 wives: 3 Chinese and 1 American.  I just love meeting my favorite authors!!  I just put a hold on the new book.

I am currently reading Homegoing, which is a novel about Ghana.  Each chapter is a new generation in this family starting back in the days of the slave trade.  I am always saying I don't know much about Africa, and I do find I learn a lot from well-researched novels.

Did I tell you that one of my grandson's is spending two years in Ghana? He's serving in the bush and is the only white person within an hour and half drive. He's loving experiencing their culture. Is now eating fufu with goat intestines, fish brains and grilled bat. Thoroughly enjoys the natives!

As a child I always said that I wanted to be a medical missionary in Africa. My grandson is living my dream! I'll add HOMEGOING to my TBR list. Thanks!
Thought I would post before March is over.

RAPA...Grandson sounds like he will experience a real adventure. His Menu sounds like something from Anthony Bourdain's TV SHOW...Parts Unknown!

I've had more than my share of DUD books this month. But have just started BEFORE THE FALL by Noah Hawley. Very engrossing. Did any of you read? Seems like a tried to listen on Audiobook and tossed it aside back in Dec. Much better reading it...in large print!

Carolyn, Before the Fall sounds excellent. I just ordered it from my library.  Several rave reviews on Goodreads. Thanks for the recommendation. One of the reviews said it is going to be made into a movie. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service