TBD

TBD on Ning

Have been reading up a storm  lately.  Habitually head to bed at 11:00 pm and read until 3:00-4:00am crawling out at 11:00am. Guess it comes from years of being a night nurse! Definitely not a morning person!!

Here are the three books I'm returning to library.  Still have 10 piled by bed, all of which can be renewed. 

FAITHFUL by Alice Hoffman, who has never disappointed me.  Her THE DOVEKEEPERS is one of my all time fav reads!

Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh.  The story revolves around a disturbed young woman who worked as a secretary at a private prison facility for teenage boys.

In a Hitchcockian twist, her affection for a new counselor ultimately pulls her into complicity in a crime that surpasses her wildest imaginings. 

and a totally lovely novella (76 pages) from Fredrik Backman, the author of A MAN CALLEED OVE.    The novella is AND EVERY MORNING THE WAY HOME GETS LONGER AND LONGER.  This novella tells of how a Grandpa and his young grandson learn to say good-bye.

...........and what are you reading? Anything new in your life? 

Views: 617

Replies to This Discussion

I also read it and enjoyed it as well. It did bring up Rear Window and since I just got Netflix I plan to check out that movie again.

I just finished Poison, a Dismas Hardy novel, by John Lescroart. Very good and certainly recommended. Lescroart is another of my (many) favorite writers.
I am reading Deep Sleep by Greg Iles. So far, it is good.

the first 15 lives of harry august just got too weird...  I put it aside after about 100 pages. 

I read the latest stephanie plum just to clear my brain...  LOL    

Then read the Never -Open Desert Diner.  I kept telling my DH that there was another character in a book I read that was also in this book.  When I checked my library history, I discovered that the book I was recalling was Lullaby Road by the same author.  I just read the second book before the first one.  Both were good.

Now I'm reading the latest Reacher novel.  He is back in fine form, beating 8 opponents with little effort.  He is described in this book as close to 7' tall ...almost to the ceiling with hands like thanksgiving turkeys.  I keep picturing little Tom Cruise playing the part. I think Jack Reacher, the movie, is available on Amazon Prime this month... gonna have to watch it and chuckle a little. 

Last night I finished the last of Fredrik Backman's delightful books translated from Swedish. Perhaps you remember Backman's A MAN CALLED OVE. This older book is titled BRITT-MARIE WAS HERE.. The first half went somewhat slowly but entertained. Then it got to the place where you got totally involved.  

Backman's latest book that I highly recommend is a short, poignant book. It's title is:  .....and Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer.

What are you reading?

Rapa, I LOVED the novela;  And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer...  I loved it so much I might actually BUY it...  LOL

Right now I am charging through the latest Reacher, The Midnight Line,and enjoying it; like visiting an old friend.  :)   I just have to chuckle every time I read a description of Reacher (almost 7' with fists like turkeys) and picture Tom Cruise playing the part in the movie...  WHAT were they thinking!!!  I haven't seen the movie but I think it may be on Prime this month so I may get to laugh my way through it.

That was such a stupid choice to cast Tom Cruise as Reacher. Love the Reacher books.

Yes, they are kinda like the Stephanie Plum books; you know where it's going but you enjoy the ride.

Last night, having exhausted my library stack, pulled from my book shelf KATE REMEMBERED by A. Scott Berg. The author,  biographer, began a special friendshiip with Katharine Hepburn in 1983 and spent countless hours over 20 years in conversation with her.The book discusses the legendary actress's life and moving farewell as her failing body finally surrendered. She truly had an extraordinary life!

Last night the spirit moved me to read again my favorite book, THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY by Robert James Waller. It's a short, one nighter read and never fails to elicit tears.

Lourach, yesterday you posted Frank Sinatra singing Autumn Leaves.  Two places in the book last night spoke of the song Autumn Leaves!!!!!   Chilling coincidence!!!

I am a bit over 100 pages into Louise Penny's The Nature of the Beast. It is the one about the discovery of a big gun near Three Pines. As usual, I love her writing and the great characters living in that small village. Nevertheless, the premise of a big gun, such as the one that was found, seems somewhat out of the ordinary for one of Ms. Penny's novels, and perhaps a bit much. It is going to be very interesting to see where she takes the reader (that's me, of course) over the coming pages.

Lorauch, I agree with you about the Penny book being different from her usual stories. 

I also found that Krueger's DESOLATION MOUNTAIN didn't hold my attention as his previous books. Seems there were too many characters running here/there and almost needed a chart to keep track of them. Perhaps as I age I don't deal well with change, feeling more comfortable with the familar. Currently am reading free standing books instead of those in a series. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service