TBD

TBD on Ning

Will anyone be watching the Academy Awards tonight.  I have to admit, I like the fashion show on the red carpet.  And I actually like Ellen as a host, so it might even be entertaining this year.  Do you have a favorite pick for the big categories? 

Best Picture:  American Hustle; Nebraska; Captain Philips; Philomena; Dallas Buyers Club; 12 Years a Slave; Gravity; Wolf of Wall Street; Her

Actor in a Leading Role: Christian Bale (American Hustle); Chitewel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave); Bruce Dern (Nebraska); Matthew McConaughey (Dalla Buyers Club); Leonardo DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street)

Actress in a Leading Role: Amy Adams (American Hustle); Judy Dench (Philomena); Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine); Meryl Streep (August Osage County); Sandra Bullock (Gravity) 

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

I just got finished watching some older Oscar films...Bridge Over the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia...nothing this year really compares but then I haven't seen them all.
Of the ones I've seen, I watched "Her" just a couple days ago..had to go to Orlando to find it...along with the others I've seen..Dallas Buyers Club...Philomena....August, Osage County.

Best Picture: For story, I really liked "Her"...kind of a topical..finding love on the internet and more...not a big blockbuster but I liked the story..relatable.
My picks... Matthew McConaughey and Judy Dench

I thought Ellen D did a good job of hosting last night.  The selfie and the Pizza things was great and the celebs seemed to get into it.  I couldn't stay up for the end so I missed the really big announcements but I enjoyed the show.  I really loved the speech by the kid that won the best actor in a supporting role. I thought his tribute to his mom was awesome.  And coodoes (sp?) to the actress in a supporting role as well, well done!  

PS I thought Pink did an amazing job singing Some Where Over the Rainbow and her dress was stunning.

Lots of sparkling dresses and the white jackets on the men..
I knew Pink had a strong voice...did a good job with the singing.
Ellen's stuff broke up some of the long stretches of nothing...seems like it takes too long...get on with it.

Well, that sucks! I answered this post yesterday, and gave my Oscar picks....based, not on what I thought the actors did onscreen, but because I've been watching Oscars for 55 years, and I know how they think. But I missed every one but two. I thought that Somali fellow would get the best supporting role....and it went to Jerod something-or-other, for playing a drag queen in Dallas Buyers Club. If I'd known in advance that he'd played a drag queen.....I'd have picked him. A drag queen trumps a poor Somali boy who made good any day. From the clips they showed last night.....Jerod did do a great job in a tough role, so I figure he probably deserved it, anyway. That pretty little girl from "Twelve Years a Slave" (another pick I made wrong) was very good, too. I was happy for Mathew McConaughey. (I picked him) He is now much more than a pretty face and a great chest; he is turning into an exceptional actor. I loved his acceptance speech. Some critic called it, "confounding"; I found it to be perfectly clear and eloquent. One of the best moments of the night, actually. Ellen was....well, Ellen. She was cute, but some of it dragged a bit as far as I was concerned. I liked Billy Crystal better. My pick for best movie was right on the money, though.

I have grown to hate the song Over the Rainbow, but Pink made it her own last night. What a singer. My son and daughter went to one of her concerts recently and came home astounded at what a great performer she was. 

Karin, I like McConaughey's speech too!

I knew Gravity would take all the technical stuff because that part was amazing.

I thought maybe Bruce Dern would win just because of his body of work, but McConaughey deserves to win because of True Detective, as I said.  And when he is on the screen, the audience MUST pay attention--he is charismatic, for sure.

And I thought Ellen added a nice folksy touch making all those pretentious Hollywood types seem like normal people taking selfies and eating pizza. She broke the tension.  Can't stand it when the righties call her Ellen DeGeneres (I mean Ellen Degenerate--that's what the righties call her). She has always maintained her dignity even in her stand-up routines.

Ok.....maybe I'm a moron.....but isn't Ellen Degeneres her name?

Lol. I mean Ellen Degenerate. Sorry!

Ahhh. But.....years before anyone ever knew (for sure) that she was gay.....I still thought her name just naturally sounded like something else. I'll bet she took kidding when she was a kid, for sure. To refer to her as that because she is gay is unforgivable.....but, you hafta admit.....the first time you heard her name....you probably said, "What???"

It's not a mistake when she is called that, though, and it's because she is gay. 

Just a little story...when my niece, Ava, found out I was kinda sick and couldn't go to work she told me I should watch Ellen because it will make me feel better and she dances and she's really funny and gives lots of presents to people..thats what she does when she doesn't feel good and has to stay home.
I thought that was cute and sometimes she calls me and asked if I am watching...and I try to watch when I can..it does usually make me smile..I enjoy her show.

I'm watching Ellen right now and she has the pizza guy from last night on. He and his brother own the pizza place and it's nearby. She said the actors last night donated $600 for the tip and she had another $400 in her pocket....for those who might be curious.

I OD'd on Oprah years ago, so I don't like talk shows anymore.  But, I have on occasion, swung by Ellen, and she does have a way of lifting spirits.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service